Hearty Taco Soup
This recipe is a good source of Vitamin C, which keeps gums and blood vessels healthy.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups hot, 99% fat-free beef broth,
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) tomatoes, chopped with liquid
- 1 can (15.5-ounce) pinto beans
- 1 can (15.25) ounce whole kernel corn
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 crisp taco shells
- 2 cups (16 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- Brown meat, pepper, and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings.
- Reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet), cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Crumble 1/2 taco shell in each bowl, add soup, and top with cheese.
- Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
- Try black beans in place of pinto beans.
Recipe from http://healthyrecipes.oregonstate.edu. Be sure to check out their site for more recipes